A. Lange & Söhne
A. Lange & Söhne is one of Germany’s most traditional and finest watch brands. It’s first establishment goes back to 1845 as Ferdinand Adolph Lange founded a manufacturing place for timepieces in Glashütte, Saxony. After 1945, a long period of enforced inactivity followed due to the difficult social and economic circumstances in former East Germany. On December 7th 1990, exactly 145 years after the first foundation by his great-grandfather, founder of Lange Uhren GmbH Walter Lange re-registered the brand A. Lange & Söhne at its old location in Glashütte where its history once had begun.
A. Lange & Söhne produces all its manufacture calibers in Glashütte. After first ideas have been brainstormed by the company’s designers, construction engineers and technologists, the prototypes are tested extensively and tediously at the in-house laboratory. All blanks are turned, milled and eroded in CNC workshops at the place. Subsequently, deburrers, finisseurs and engravers prepare plant parts in complex manual work for movement assembly. The movements are produced in several assembly stages of various modules that are scheduled in the final assembly. Even the most elaborate assemblies and adjustments like the ones used for the complicated Perpetual Calendar, the Split-seconds chronograph and the tourbillon are carried out in house.
Lange uses only mechanical calibers with manual or automatic winding, which are refined to the highest quality criteria of Glashütte. The movements are decorated, assembled and finely adjusted by hand. Just a few thousand watches are produced each year by A. Lange & Söhne.